Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Doe a Deer

So tonight while I was cooking dinner I heard Margaret Rose trying to teach Mary Clare a song. MC was doing her doggonedest to sing along but was having a hard time with the words. Margaret Rose's English still amazes me but somtimes her pronunciation is hard to decipher. MC got the part about "through my window" and picked up the word "tired" but she and I were both at a loss for the rest of the song. Margaret grew increasingly frustrated with our pitiful guesses at the lyrics and it finally occurred to me to call awesome Aa-Aa who taught kindergarten for more years than she would care for me to share here. Sure enough she was able to translate - "Blue bird, blue bird through my window. Blue bird, blue bird through my window. Blue bird, blue bird through my window, oh Johnny aren't you tired?" Well personally I think MC's guess at a tired giant was pretty darn close but obviously not close enough for Miss Maggie. Lee googled and found the music for it and played the piano. Margaret Rose assigned us all rythym instruments and we enjoyed a few VonTrapp-like family moments belting out the little diddy. MR actually has good rhythm and pitch. Mary Clare sings like her mama- lustily, loud and without any care for key or pitch. Later on while getting ready for bed Margaret Rose gave me a smug little smile and reproachfully said, "Aa-Aa know my song." I gotta teach that kid some show tunes!

No comments: